September 22 - St. Dunstan's fall fair

Many churches around here have what they call "fall fairs." There's always plenty of baking and jam to buy, usually a silent auction, a sales area of dubious quality, that sort of thing. At St. Dunstan's this year, along with a jar of Rhubarb & Ginger Jam and a half-dozen plates of goodies, I picked up some paperbacks at two bits apiece and hardcovers at a buck apiece, for a total of $3.75:
  • Joe Garner, Never Fly Over an Eagle's Nest (paper -- a provincial classic about pioneering; I still haven't seen one that isn't autographed)
  • Hugh MacLennan, Seven Rivers of Canada (hard -- I won't know until I get to the office, but I think it later became a coffee-table book with the overlay of photos)
  • George Plimpton, The Bogey Man (paper -- perhaps the best golfing nonfiction ever written, and among the funniest as well)
  • Ernest Thompson Seton, Wild Animals I Have Known (hard -- wonderful stuff, first published in 1898)
  • Edward Streeter, Father of the Bride (hard -- who knew that the Spencer Tracy movie on which the Steve Martin film was based was itself based on a novel illustrated by New Yorker cartoonist Gluyas Williams?)
  • Jonathan Swift, Gulliver's Travels (paper -- not sure how I didn't already have a copy of this one -- may have been lost in the Great Purge).

Comments

Melwyk said…
One of my favourite recollections of the Seton book is that another naturalist contemporary with Seton grumbled that it was so contrived it should have been titled "Wild animals only I have known". Thinking about that still makes me laugh.
richard said…
That is funny, Melanie -- I hadn't heard that one! But I've tracked down that it was John Burroughs in his article "Real and Sham Natural History," Atlantic Monthly 91, 545 (March 1903): 298-310.

It seems he was harsh on several writers, not just Seton but also Jack London and others.
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular Posts