October 16 - Russell Books

Gosh, but Russell Books has come a long way. I've always enjoyed the upstairs, even though it was kind of dominated by the hardcover books people donate surreptitiously to charities after being given them at Christmas, but the downstairs seemed uneven. The upstairs is in the midst of doubling in size, which is good news for everyone except Shepherd Books just up the street - a terrific store to which I'll be making a long-delayed shopping trip before long.

Anyway, a couple of pickups:
  • Dee Brown, Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West ($9.99 - several copies there, in a variety of editions), and
  • John Vaillant, The Golden Spruce: A True Story of Myth, Madness and Greed ($9.99 - another copy of this month's book club book, as I seem to have given away the first two copies I'd bought)
I was particularly impressed by the store's First Nations section (just past the cash desk) and environment section (far back left). If you know I'm on the loose downtown, start looking for me there.

Comments

Popular Posts