January 2 - Shepherd Books

Yep, my second visit confirms that Shepherd Books is one of my favourite bookstores. It hasn't been around long, but it has high quality copies of books worth reading. There are of course some shelves of the high throughput romance, mystery, etc., but there's lots more of the good stuff. I didn't manage to make it to the fiction section, but I still picked up these gems:
  • Nancy Baron & John Acorn, Birds of Coastal British Columbia ($10)
  • Harold Rhenisch, Tom Thomson's Shack ($9.50)
  • ed. Whitney Smith & Christopher Lowry, Wild Culture: Ecology and Imagination ($9.50, actually a collection of pieces from the journal Wild Culture)
  • Wallace Stegner, Wolf Willow: A History, a Story, and a Memory of the Last Plains Frontier ($8.50)
I read the first 40 or so pages of Rhenisch's book while on line (in line? lined up?) at the passport office, and I'm pleased to finally make his acquaintance. As it happens, Tom Thomson's Shack is at least as much about life in BC's Cariboo, but the title isn't all that helpful for those of us just getting around to Rhenisch!

Comments

Popular Posts