December 16 - Shepherd Books

While Christmas shopping this afternoon, I found what might be my new favourite bookstore, Shepherd Books on Fort Street here in Victoria. All used books, the majority of them seriously interesting (apart from the necessary mysteries, romances, etc that let such a store make money), this is a store I'll be spending time in whenever I get downtown, and a store I'll be making excuses for trips downtown to visit.

Only had time to pick up, for $11.50, the inestimable Terry Glavin's The Last Great Sea: A Voyage through the Human and Natural History of the North Pacific Ocean -- maybe a longer subtitle on the next book, Terry? Apart from writing consistently interesting and idiosyncratic books, he's also been editing for Transmontanus Books. (Actually maybe he's running the show. I should know this.)

I've fondled this one a few times at stores, and I couldn't bear to leave Shepherd Books without something. I've been thinking of teaching from this book next year, so I'm looking forward to reading it. A detailed summary review by Bruce Serafin here at Dooney's Cafe, unfortunately 3 1/2 years old now.

Comments

Chrissy said…
I received a book for Christmas called Fables from the Mud by Erik Quisling and every page in the book has a basic hand-drawn picture with most only having a line or two of words of side-splittingly funny content. You have to give it a read if you haven't already. Too hard to pass up!
Happy new Year All!
Chrissy
richard said…
Um, who are you exactly, "Chrissy"?

Popular Posts