December 18 - memorial sale

I picked up a small armload of books today from the department office. A respected and loved professor passed away this fall, Margot Louis; I didn't know her, but she cast a long shadow around here. The university library got their pick of her book collection, and the remaining few thousand volumes are for sale in the department office. So, I picked up the following for $30 and a thought for the lost:
  • Robert Bringhurst, Pieces of Map, Pieces of Music
  • Thomas de Quincey, Recollections of the Lakes and the Lake Poets
  • Peter Elbow, Writing with Power: Techniques for Mastering the Writing Process
  • Louise Bernice Halfe, Blue Marrow
  • Sarah Orne Jewett, A Country Doctor
  • Theresa Kishkan, Ikons of the Hunt
  • Primo Levi, The Periodic Table
  • St. Thomas More, Utopia
  • Pindar, The Odes
  • ed. William Pratt, The Imagist Poem: Modern Poetry in Miniature
  • ed. Jerome Rothenberg, Shaking the Pumpkin: Traditional Poetry of the Indian North Americas
I'm most pleased with Halfe, Kishkan, and Rothenberg, but I'm hopeful that I'll like Levi more than I do Italo Calvino.

Comments

Popular Posts